It's 11:32pm.
I am in bed, thanks to Joel.
I have gone to the bathroom, with help (thanks honey)
I am not in pain unless I try to do something silly, like move anything other than my fingers.
Rewind to 7:40pm...
There we were, Donna, Carleen & I, enjoying a warm night, testing out the race route in East Kelowna... excited about the 10K we are running out there June 10th. Two kilometres in, everything is absolutely fine, I'm in a perfectly normal, straight ahead, flat stride, when what I can only describe as a FLASH of pain in my lower back comes out of no where... "Oh, oh. oh....." I come to a stop... my friends know something's bad... they each grab an arm as I start to buckle...
I try to catch my breath, we're there for a minute, them holding me up as I try to get oriented to what happened and what I'm going to do next... I figure my options are
1) drop to the ground and go fetal
2) keep leaning on them indefinately
3) wait for the pain to pass and start running again
A car stops and asks if we're ok... I still think #3 is an option, so we thank them for stopping and tell them we're ok.
After about 5 minutes I realize that since I can not move, shift weight, straighten or bend, Option #3 may be off the list.
So we decide we need Carleen to get a ride back to her truck so she can come back and pick us up... the run is clearly over, as pretty much all I can do is breath or cry. It was mostly crying.
SO the girls try to flag down a vehicle...
picture us... three women, obviously out for a run on a country road, one of them is obviously in trouble (as her friends are holding her up)... and we are clearly unarmed in our tanktops and shorts (who knows what we have stashed in our waterbottle belts???)
Can you beleive 4 or 5 cars passed us (a couple of women drivers) before finally a car with 3 nice young men from Alberta stop and take Carleen to her car. We couldn't beleive it.
So, after some interesting maneuvering to get me into and out of Carleen's truck (it's a big tall one) and a lot of whincing, crying, and help from D & C to get me home and on my couch... nicely drugged up, ice packed and pillowed... they were able to leave me alone until Joel made it home 20 minutes later. And not a moment too soon a I had to pee and that was a whole 'nother show. After which I fainted, getting to my bed.
So, here I am, wondering what I'll feel like tomorow... hoping and praying that I'll feel a LOT better, that my running days are not over, thankful Joel can run into the office early early, grab his stuff and work at home.... just incase I need to go pee again tomorrow.
p.s. I love drugs.
p.s.s. THANK YOU THANK YOU DONNA & CARLEEN, you both rock, and Donna, you're going to be an AWESOME nurse... that's not the drugs talking.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
I guess I am the only person crazy enuf to be up after you made your blog entry at 11:30pm. I should be in bed.
I just wanted to say that I hope everything is OK with you and that you wake up tomorrow morning with no pain or faints. Let us know if there is anything Karleigh or I can do.
Christoph
Dawn, Dawn, Dawn.... see? This is why I don't run. It's actually bad for you!! Seriously-I hope that you are OK and if Mark and I can do anything, just call. Side note-I would have stopped. :)
Oh, I hope it is nothing serious enough to stay with you for long?
I am so sorry to hear that you are in pain. Isn't it such a special thing when you know the one person in your life will take care of you no matter what? Just tell Joel, this is what it may be like when we hit old age! That's what I tell Kurt.
Good luck, be thinking of you. Stay away from Facebook!
H
Oh Dawn.... I so sorry! I hope this morning brings new light to your back pain...
ps I thought for sure you would have made "Lightning McQueen I'm mean Carlene" run back to her truck.... might have been faster than trying to flag someone down!
Ouch, having had similar lying on the floor unable to get up back pain, I can relate. Hope you're much better today and I can recommend a really good chiropractor!
Oh, Dawn... how are you today? I hope things are better? Let us know.
Post a Comment