Monday, October 09, 2006

JUST RUN WITH IT

Rank: 284/508 runners
Pace/KM 6:22
Time 1:02:45
Gender Rank: 153/323
Division Rank: 63/112


This was my 3rd race this year and my 2nd 10K. It was a gorgeous day and I was able to start the race with my sweetie on his 37th birthday! We've never done anything in the realm of "athletic events" together -- even though he's a life-long super-jock. Running is the first sport that has caught my attention and it's only been 9 months since I started. Just very cool to be at the start line together -- though it didn't last long! Joel had a friend to run with (at their pace) and I had Cathy to run with so that was all good. I felt great for the first 40 minutes and then I felt like my legs were 100 lbs each. If it wasn't for Cathy helping me with my mental game (of which I have none!) I would still be out there somewhere! My time was a little slower than my last race, but that's ok with me.

We quickly went to the gym in Joel's building and showered and got pretty for our brunch at the Grand with my family (Joel's B-day, Mom & Dad's anniversary, Thanksgiving -- all rolled into one big pig out at the Grand's Thanksgiving Brunch!) Then we headed back to City Park so we could see my friend Patti cross the finish line on her HALF MARATHON!!! She did so well!

I have no idea why, but I get choked up watching people cross the finish line. You watch their eyes as they push through the last seconds of their race and you can't help but feel their sense of accomplishment and pride. Watching people finish a race is really moving... no pun intended.

It was so fun for Joel and I to do something together like this... even if we didn't run together.
To have him high-five me on my way to the finish line (his time was 55:27), just a cool, NEW thing for us... not a lot of NEW things come up after 17 years together :-)

Will I do this again? Absolutely!
Am I inspired to do better? Yes!
Will I consider training for a half-marathon? Not today, but possibly, maybe, one day in the distant future. Potentially.

Congrats to my running group friends Patti, Cathy, Kari & Linda -- great job!!

2 comments:

Audrey said...

WTG Dawn! How awesome that you started the race with your hubby! I "trained" with a GF last year(she ran I rode my bike) and watched her cross the finish line on her first marathon! So cool and I too got teary watching her!

Congrats!

Cheryl said...

You ROCK THE KASBAH my friend! I am so very proud of you!!!

And Joel's birthday?

Well, we may just have to rustle up a little gifty for him...