Today my best girlfriend Marcie is coming to visit me for the weekend from Kitchener,ON. We haven't seen each other since Jan '04!! That's just wrong.
She flies in around 1pm, I will spirit her away to my new favorite cafe -- "The Bread Company" -- (thanks Tara! Cheryl & I accidentally parked infront of it yesterday and after one visit we were in love. I'm a total junkie now! -- hey! a replacement BINGE!)
After a few hours of yaking, our jaws will need a break so it's chips, dip & a 2 litre of Diet Coke infront of Must See TV! Deep, I know.
Friday afternoon we are off to the O SPA!! Aromatherapy wraps all around!
Then we will uphold our little tradition of going to the Keg for dinner whenever we get together. Mmmmmmm..... steak..... I'm hoping she hasn't seen "The Break-Up" yet... I think it's just out on DVD and I'd love to see it with her. Saturday we are joining my running group for a run in peachland, followed by more coffee (which neither of us drink)at Bliss Bakery and then will spend with all the boys. She is going to FREAK when she sees Adam, who is probably eye-to-eye with my petite friend by now.
Marcie and I met in grade 9 (1984) in the Library at Westgate Highschool in Thunder Bay. Her home quickly became my 2nd home and I've always appreciated the way her families door was open to any and all kids (there were usually at least 6 kids under their roof at any given time.)
When I moved to Kelowna in 1986 we kept in touch for a few years and then lost each other for about 5 years. One day in September 1992 she called me at my house in Edmonton. She had made a split decision to move to Edmonton to go to school, heard that I had moved there and was on her way over. That was a great day. We picked up where we'd left off 5 years before and even though our lives are very different on paper (she's a single, professional women who loves sports and gives the impression of being on the quiet side until you get to know her) we are forever connected across the miles and life circumstances.
On April 25th, 1998 she was visiting us in Grand Cayman so she could be there for Brodie's birth. WE were watching "Donnie Brasco" and there was a long screen kiss. 2-year old Adam turned to Marcie, took her face in his hands and reinacted the Hollywood Kiss so long and passionately, that I laughed so hard my water broke and 5 hours later, there was Brodie.
We've been friends for 22 years, she has held my hand during the birth of both my boys, she and Joel became fast friends and the three of us have had countless good times with about 10,000 inside jokes as a result. Including the fact that we've called each other "cupcake" for the last 2 decades... (we got it from a soap opera... anyone else remember "Patch" from another world -- I think... anyway, he called his love interest Cupcake and we thought it was too good to let go.)
2 years and 9 months is just too darn long. I can not wait to spend the weekend with her!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Frienship like that is such a wonderful gift. Enjoy your weekend!
Have a wonderful weekend Dawn! I already know you will, but had to wish it for you anyhow... AND, "You're Welcome" for the Bread Company... hee, hee!
Post a Comment