Monday, November 26, 2007

A Month from Yesterday!


I'm feeling unusually Christmassy already! Tree's up, shopping is half done, and last night we got to enjoy one of our favorite traditions. Our church puts on a very nice dinner for the patrons of the Westbank Food Bank each year. Every adult/couple receives a gift bag with a few Christmas luxuries (nice quality chocolates/tea/coffe/christmas napkins/ornament and a gift certificate.) For the last few years our group has taken on the job of shopping for and packing up these little bags... so after a delicious Greek dinner last night, we packed like little elves and this was our result! 60 bags for adults and another 60 little bags for each child.

On the food front, my friend Roberta was planning her Christmas menu and asked for this recipe... I always make it at Christmas time and usually if we've got overnight company... but I don't think I've made it since last Christmas. I'm so glad she reminded me of it... I can't wait to make it again this season. Don't even try to estimate the weight watchers points--- just close your eyes and enjoy the taste sensation.


OVERNIGHT FRENCH TOAST

Day old French bread in 1 inch slices (I think I usually make mine a little thicker---same amount of bread, less surface space so you can fit a whole loaf in one giant pan-DK)5-7 eggs
3/4 cup milk
brown sugar
1/4 lb melted butter
cinnamon

"Spray 9 x 13 pan with Pam (I use a larger lasagna pan-DK) Sprinkle brown sugar on bottom of the pan. It should be 1/4 inch thick. Sprinkle with sinamon--I use a lot. Pour melted butter over this mixture. In separate bowl, beat eggs and milk. Dip bread in. Allow bread to absorb egg mixture (I count to 20 each side). Place in pan. l Cover and refrigerate overnight. Preheat oven to 375'. Turn bread pieces over (very important). Bake 30 minutes or until golden brown."

2 comments:

Barley Girl said...

AWESOME BAGS!!! THEY LOOK GREAT!!!!
and as for the cinimini french toast, go for 12 points per piece and I THink you will cover it all...Im gonna try it this christmas!!

Cheryl said...

That sounds SO good! I think I will try it! (complainers can eat frosted flakes!)

Way to go on those bags, I'm sure you guys brightened Christmas for a lot of people :)