It was a warm evening, as we walked through a dark open market in Bangkok. We'd already had dinner at a soup vendor, but Joel had a hankering for something more substantial. After 24 days of eating in Thailand, we'd become quite comfortable with walking up to a BBQ vendor and ask for "one of these and three of those".
And that's what he did.
He didn't know what they were, but they came highly recommended by the vendor, and it looked like they had a good sauce.
"I think it's livers or something" he said after a couple of bites of his skewer. Followed by the thought, "when in Thailand..."
Minutes after the skewer was consumed, I started to tell him a story that one of our missonary friends had told me... about the grossest thing they'd eaten in Thailand.
"She described it as a skewer with round pieces of meat that had a hole in the middle" I relayed.
"That's what I just ate" he said.
pause.
"You just ate a stick full of chicken anuses."
Side note: Joel had seen a kettle full of chicken feet at the same vendor and thought, "oh no thanks, that's disgusting."
And that's what he did.
He didn't know what they were, but they came highly recommended by the vendor, and it looked like they had a good sauce.
"I think it's livers or something" he said after a couple of bites of his skewer. Followed by the thought, "when in Thailand..."
Minutes after the skewer was consumed, I started to tell him a story that one of our missonary friends had told me... about the grossest thing they'd eaten in Thailand.
"She described it as a skewer with round pieces of meat that had a hole in the middle" I relayed.
"That's what I just ate" he said.
pause.
"You just ate a stick full of chicken anuses."
Side note: Joel had seen a kettle full of chicken feet at the same vendor and thought, "oh no thanks, that's disgusting."
4 comments:
Remind Joel that he eats chicken, beef and/or pork anuses every time he eats a hot dog. Of course, the fact that they are ground beyond all recognition helps lessen the "ewww" factor!
Christine
For some reason, the thought of chicken anuses being "something more substantial" just struck me as particularly funny. Hahahahaha!
Christine. again...
Hey Dawn!
Just had a look at your blog and wow - how fantastic your family is on such an amazing adventure. Many happy and safe travels for you all.
Erinne
Oh yah... gotta get me some o' those chicken bums! Question: Was Joel able to keep them down??
This post is priceless!!
Post a Comment