"Let love and faithfulness never leave you; bind them around your neck, write them on the tablet of your heart... preserve sound judgement and discernment, do not let them out of your sight; they will be life for you, an ornament to grace your neck."
from Proberbs 3
As I find myself hurtling towards "the big 4-0" I'm being asked how I feel about it. My quick response is that I don't hesitate to share my age... I like where I'm at in life, I'm more fit than I've ever been, I don't think I look "like I'm fourty", I am really enjoying this season of family life... I'm happy with all those kinds of things.
And then I read this. This is what matters about aging and growing up. Is the tablet of my heart filled with faithfulness. Do I have more sound judgement and discernment than when I was turning the "big 3-0". What is hanging around my neck?
I am in such a different place with so many things than I was 10 years ago. I have more questions and less answers on some things. Maybe part of wisdom is acknowledging what you DON't know. It's patiently working through those things. It's being OK with the fact that sometimes your "etch-a-sketch" gets shaken and you have to re-evaluate the way you see things and the answers you used to have.
This chapeter also says, "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight." God help me to do that more and more as I keep growing up!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment