Saturday, October 13, 2007

Running for a Mom I Don't Know Half Way Across the World



In a little while, somewhere in Ethiopia, a mother, just like me, will receive a gift. She's a hard worker, she's ambitious, she's got an idea, she's going for it. She's starting a business so that she can provide for her family. It will be simple to start with, but it will be a beginning. She will have a little bit of support from an agency in her community, but the key to turning her idea into a paycheck will be in recieving a small business loan from a bunch of Canadians who are cheering her on from the other side of the world.

Check out this awesome organization... I think it's such a great idea on so many fronts! Today my friends Patti, Stephanie & I were part of a 100km relay run from Westbank to Enderby, raising money for this awesome cause. It's the third year for this event and I believe that last year they raised $35,000. The first year, there were only two runners, one of whom was Stephanie, and they both ran the WHOLE 100km in one day!! Patti & I took on 5KM, got to ride in the RV for a leg before ours, and met some really great people along the way. Next year we will definately do this again! And I will be asking for your money:-) 100% of it goes to the women.

Take a minute to follow the link on the right and check out the PARTNERS IN THE HORN OF AFRICA website. Imagine what it would mean for a woman/mom, just like you, in a situation very unlike yours, to be given the opportunity to provide for her family and start her own business, with the help of some enthusiastic strangers across the globe!

2 comments:

Marina Garrison said...

Wow Dawn, what a fantastic cause.

Kelli said...

Wow is right!
You go girl.