Tuesday, December 23, 2008

The Morning After

The Morning After

“I wish we could live here all the time” Brodie said on hour 12 of his Thai experience.
I think that was still the pork soup talking, or maybe the BBQ’d chicken he was about to dive into at a “restaurant”—which is more like a tent with tables and food for sale. These food stalls lined the streets of the Bangkok area we were in for the day. It’s food stall after food stall, cheap, delicious, and apparently safe, since we all enjoyed it and no one was the least bit sick. We also ventured into a local convenience store and picked up some chips. “Double Cheese Pork Burger” and “Spicy Squid” flavoured.

Our flight to Phuket was later that night. Becky, our “friend” (who we’d met once before they moved to Thailand almost 3 years ago, and who has been our contact as we’ve planned this trip), was waiting at the airport for us. It was midnight by then and she brought us right to our home for the week, which is a cute little 3 bedroom house around the corner from Greg & Becky’s. The woman who lives here is also a missionary at has gone to Canada for Christmas, so offered us her home and truck—very generous of her.

I woke up at 6am the first morning here in Phuket and made myself a cup of tea and watched the neighbourhood wake up. It’s so cool to be able to spend this week in a real Thai neighbourhood, hearing the chatter of neighbors (the windows are mostly all screens) and the chickens, the dogs, the cats, the kids, the great smells, (and the not so great smells.) It’s also really nice having Greg & Becky around the corner—our boys and their 4 kids have really hit it off and can walk back and forth in one minute. They are great people and we’re having a fun and informative time hanging out with them and their team this week. Unfortunately the internet at this house isn’t working so I have to use their modem when I want to go online—I’ll try to do that again soon!

(It's taking forever to get photos up on blogger with my internet access... I'll add them when I can, or they might be on facebook as that seems to load faster.)

1 comment:

Stay Well said...

Good to know we're not the only parents guilty of afflicting our children with travel addiction! :-)
Thanks for keeping us in the loop!