Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Turning Over a New Page

OK Blog readers... It's summer and that means it's time for me to be reading.
(I am embarrassed to admit that I am strictly a summer/vacation reader.)

I need your help!

If you are someone who drops by my Blog from time to time, I'd love to know what you've been reading and what you recommend. Could I ask you to post a comment help me with my "must reads" for summer '09!

I usually only read books that have been recommended by people who know me... I NEED YOU! THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!

8 comments:

Melanie said...

Come to my library and pick some of my favorite books!!

Marina Garrison said...

Been reading the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich. Definitely recommended.

edison photography said...

Hmmmm....

Ones I liked... The Glass Castle (older - you may have read it) - a biography that has you laughing out loud at how horrible these kids had it.

Other Boleyn Girl - I sometimes think our society can't get any worse... than I read about Henry the 8th and we seem so innocent. It's infuriating and fascinating.

Old one... Angry Housewives Eating Bonbons... this is what made me start a book club. A look at friendship over 30 years.

Again an older one - Blue Like Jazz - a Christian book about faith and life. Very entertaining and thought provoking.

I'm currently reading 28 stories of AIDS, Persuasion (re-reading the Jane Austen novels this summer) and Wuthering Heights.

Oh - an old one I loved if you want an easy, fun read is "Blue Castle" by Lucy Maude Montgomery (nothing like Anne).

Happy reading! Marcie would have some good suggestions too!

Anonymous said...

Hey Dawn! I am not sure what type of books you like but I loved Life of Pi - very witty and smart - like you! The Alchemist is a must read in this lifetime and Memoirs of a Geisha is as well... These are incredible stories but sad (not sure if they are summer reads!): Poisonwood bible, A Fine Balance, The Haj, and Tandia. Anyway...some memorable ones for me!

Anonymous said...

Oh...for easy, light reads - I also love Maeve Binchy (any of them) and Alexander McCall Smith's Mma.Ramwotse series and 49 Scotland Street series are great! Have you read Harry Potter? They are neat but different. Oh I could go on....

Tara said...

well, Summer '09 is a while off yet :)... but, I like Maeve Binchy and Sophie Kinsella in general for light summer reading; The Life of Pi; The Kite Runner; A Thousand Splendid Suns... I can't remember many off the top of my head, but I have a shelf full if you'd like..

Dawn said...

oops, yes I'm still looking at Summer '08!!

Thanks everyone... i'm going to reserve some of these titles from the "local LIBARY"... funny that i'm not a big reader but have read some of your favorties too!

happy reading!

Christina B said...

I know I'm a bit late in commenting - but...I love mystery/drama, and I seem to usually stick to those of the Christian variety - so..."The O'Malley Series" by Dee Henderson is GREAT!! But there's six in the series - so a bit expensive if you're buying, but maybe your church has them?? Another GREAT series is the "Cape Refuge" seiers by....Terri Blackstock....GREAT!! I have heard that "The Shack" is GREAT as well! I think I could go on forEVER, but I'll leave you with one my kindered spirt recommended - Secret of Bees! ENJOY!