He has a dream.
He wants to pack up his wife and kids and explore the Oregon coast.
He dreams of watching the surf, toes in the sand, the salty air whiping through his hair...
And for the last 10 or so years I have found every excuse to kill Joel's dream. (Well, the hair part was kind of taken care of for me.) My chief objection being my dislike for long drives in the car.
But it looks like he's finally worn me down and we're heading south this summer.
Oh, I forgot to mention one thing... the "to do list"...
Dunes, camping, crabbing, hiking, aquariums, shopping, themeparks, visit grandma, take in a full day of outdoor concerts then the grand finale is to spend a week at Patti & Nathan's cabin just outside of Edmonton.
Did I mention we have 2 weeks to do all this?
My favorite quote of the evening was after I suggested Joel do the planning and research for this trip (since that's usually my area) and after hours of googling/mapquesting/etc...
Joel: "I don't know honey, this is going to be an awful lot of driving. I don't know why you thought this would be such a great idea. I don't get you."
yup.
(of course he was mocking himself and his dream of 3 weeks of travel squished into 2 weeks.)
I would now like to list my hesitations, (it's my blog after al):
1) the idea of packing camping gear for a mixed holiday far from thrills my need for simplicity & organization
2) if we have to pack our camping crap/gear we need to take the van, which is questionably reliable.
3) When I camp, I like all the food organized and prepped at home so that the cooking at the camp site is easy (and clean.) But can you bring food across the border these days?
4) Can I be away from home for 2 weeks without doing laundry?
I would now like to point out how openminded and flexible I am, and the compromises I believe we have agreed on.
1) If I didn't have to pack hardly any food (because we'd mostly be eating out) I could probably camp.
2) and since we won't have to bring all the cooking gear, we might be able to take the car, especially if we found a cabin or a YURT (google it.)and didn't have to bring our tent & "beds" either!
3) I can go to a laundry mat when we get to the cabin in alberta
4) I will be in a hotel by night 5 or 6.
5) I don't have to go to the theme park... theme parks make me throw up.
Shockingly flexible, I know.
The control freak is trying to lossen her grip.
Baby steps. Baby steps.
So, I'm asking for ideas from anyone who's done the oregon coast... what shoud we see, where's the best place to camp, any tips or ideas? We're thinking of the Newport area...
Me, Joel and the boys... the Griswalds have nothing on us.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
If you want, Kerry could take your place and we could go on a less packing/eating out girl trip. It's been his dream to do the same thing, only I have a better excuse, major motion sickness and the drive is supposedly a windy one(curvy, not breezy).
My DH want(ed) a yurt sooooo bad...to live in permanently....I cried. He mentioned a boy yurt, a girl yurt, and a homeschooling yurt. I cried again, I now don't have to live in one.
I limit my car rides to 3.5 hours. So I'm no help with the Oregon trek, and I'm a terrible, terrible camper.
Guess who has the Oregon Parks & Heritage guide, plus several detailed maps of Oregon State Parks (specifying which have Yurts available for reservation). Not only do I preplan and research in detail(that part of you is inherited), I also bring home a lot of crap 'er "literature" from every trip. Will get it to you shortly.
Love Gangy
Didn't the Griswalds stop and visit grandma along the way? Maybe you'd better take the van and pack some extra rope?
. . . and I haven't forgotten pictures of my sweet little puppy (yes - the same one who pulled down and ate an entire box of fresh donuts the other day. yeah that one) I'll get to that soon.
I have nothing to offer up.
Yah, good luck with that!!
Post a Comment