Saturday, December 16, 2006

I Miss Running !

Now there are 3 words I never thought would leave my mouth!
It has been weeks and weeks since I've met with my running friends... I've been too busy, too sick and too cold to run. I thought I'd get out there today but "too icy" won that game.

I can't tell you what these girls have come to mean to me over the last year. Our original group is fairly intact, plus another 10 or so girls who have joined us this fall. I refered to these women last month when I spoke at a women's retreat... here's a snippet... honoring these fine and fabulous women...

"...the thing I enjoy most about running and that thing I owe all my success to are the girls I run with.

Some of us are brand new, some of us are dedicated runners, and some of us are starting to run again after years of not running.

My running girls keep me motivated, they keep me in pace, they are my accountability, my cheering squad, and my butt kickers, cause sometimes I need that too…

I could not do it without them. Because, when you are a lazy person like me, with 1000 excuses and no “mental game” …you need someone. You need someone who’s going to make sure you’re going to meet to train. You need someone who’s going ask how the training is going. You need someone who’s going to encourage you and when all you see in front of you is kilometers, break down that down for you… just make it to the next street sign. And when someone is standing at the finish line cheering you on, hugging your sweaty body and telling you what a great job you did… well, you just want someone there to celebrate your success.

My running girlfriends do that for me. And I know they would say I do the same for them. And we LOVE being a part of one another’s success. We super love it.
We motivate each other, we inspire each other and we are one of the biggest keys to the miracle that is us running 10 kilometres, in a row.

I am thankful for them, I am incredibly proud of them, and they have taken a very special place in my heart because of the hours of talking we have done as we’ve trained and run together."


So there you have it, a little tribute to you, my running friends... until we run again! Merry Christmas!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You post makes me want to start running....almost ;)

Audrey said...

I wish I had a group like when I started running.... Now I'm just one of those people who took the running room "learn to run" program LOL! Two years ago I did my first 5km.... now nothing.

Your very lucky Dawn!