Monday, November 27, 2006

Scissors, Tears and If Looks could Kill


So, after much "warming up to the idea", today was "H" day... time for Adam (10) to get a hair cut. I have no idea why I think I can do this myself, but I had it in my head that I would take a stab at it and if it was a total disaster we could go to FirstChoice and get it "fixed".

We had the big conversation about cutting the back off (it was long enough to be in a ponytail with almost 3 inches dangling. It was aweful.

He decided he wanted it cut shorter in the back and longer over one eye... very "skateboard-esc".... I thought I could pull that off. I mentioned my plan to Cheryl today and she said "just cut it like yours... short in the back, long in the front--hahaha"

And that, my friends, is exactly what happened. I gave my son a woman's hair cut. My haircut, to be more specific. No wonder I had so much confidence in my ability to cut his hair. I'd seen my hairdresser cut my hair the same way for years!

He was a little upset that I'd cut so much off the back(even though he agreed to it before the first snip) There were a few tears. There was a certain glare.

I had to keep doing double takes of him for a few hours afterwards because I thought I was looking at myself (before I started growing my hair out). He's got these wavy spots exactly where I do... it's wierd. Depending on how i look at him it's either as close as he's going to get to a very cool skater cut, or it's mini-me. (or, Maybe, I'm so cool I have skater hair?????)

Update:
He just walked in the room.
"How's the hair?" I asked
"Awesome!"
"Really??????????"
"Yeah, it was way too long before"
"I'm really glad you like it now buddy"
he leaves, and I do a big "Whew!"

We'll see how it looks tomorrow... and if he gets teased for having a girl's haircut... funny how that could be a possibility after getting about 4 inches cut off.


PS. The before picture was taken a month ago (I forgot to take one before the cut).... it was much longer
PSS. Brodie was also planning for a little trim. After witnessing Adam's fate, he gracefully declined my offer.

3 comments:

Info Goddess said...

Where are the photos Dawn? And can you give me a trim too?? (just kidding!)

Anonymous said...

HA!! Dawn, you crack me up! I have a hairdresser though... thanks anyhow! Besides, with your boys and Fern looking like you, i think that's enough!!!

Anonymous said...

Can I bring Jake over? I would love to have my very own Dawn doll.

Could you please send me a picture, I know if Jake saw Adam sporting a short cut he would be more open to it...